Wednesday, May 25, 2016

In Sickness and In Health

Today Jon and I celebrate twenty-six years of wedded bliss! It doesn't even seem possible for that much time to have passed.  Like all good husbands, Jon took off work for today and the balance of the week for us to spend time together. 

Not every anniversary can be a cruise in the south Caribbean.  And this year was a take of the vows, "in sickness and in health."  After all what doesn't scream twenty-six years like a few x-rays and a pre-op appointment! 

I have a sprained sacroiliac joint with idiopathic scoliosis.  The translation for that is I have a S-curved spine, and currently have a pain in my bum at the left sacroiliac joint, causing swelling and inflammation.  The solution is surgery, well at least the insurance company calls it surgery, it's an out-patient procedure at the hospital. 

They will do a camera scope and x-ray while injecting an anti-inflammatory and pain medication into an area about the width of a dime. It will be performed at the hospital with an IV cocktail and recovery should be about :30 minutes and then I can go home.  The spinal surgeon said I should have relief for several weeks.  I will have physical therapy twice a week for six weeks following the procedure. 

This will be a walk in the park compared to the multiple cervical neck fusion with titanium plates and screws that I have done earlier. I'm fortunate to have the same spine surgeon performing this procedure and feel very comfortable with his skills.  I'm very lucky to have Jon and Frankie to take care of me next week, because I'm not a very good at being still! It's a blessing that Abigail will be at camp and I don't have to be responsible for running her places.  It's also great to have Caleb home to make those runs to the grocery store for me on his way home from work. After two years of back trouble, I'm looking forward to a little PT and I'll be good as new!  

Then shall your light break forth like the dawn,
    and your healing shall spring up speedily;
your righteousness shall go before you;
    the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. Isaiah 58:8

No comments: