Sunday, November 6, 2016

Applesauce!




Today I learned something new, it takes two pounds of apples to make one pint of applesauce!  Between the peeling, coring and cooking process it took about nine pouds of apples to yield four pints of delicious homemade applesauce.


I used the recipe on the Pioneer Woman's  recipe, and then the Ball canning instructions for canning in a water bath. It's funny because when you starting looking up recipes one will read, "always sweeten with brown sugar for a rich carmel color."  While another recipe will read, 'always use white sugar to sweeten, brown sugar will cause an unsighly coloring to your applesauce."  

Other recipes will say "add btter for a rich flavor" and another will say, "never add butter it alters the taste."  I go with flavors I like and if I don't like the final result, I can always alter the next batch.  And yes I used brown sugar and butter! 

6 pounds Apples, Peeled, Cored, and Cut
1 cup Apple Juice
2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, Packed
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
a pinch of Nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes. 

Carefully puree in a food processor or blender until smooth.  Sterilize pint jars, fill and process in a boiling water bath for 20 minutes. 

My son, keep my words
    and treasure up my commandments with you;
keep my commandments and live;
    keep my teaching as the apple of your eye.
Proverbs 7:1-2

No comments: