Thursday, November 9, 2017

Canning Blueberry Jam


In the Spring the girls and I went berry picking for blackberries and blueberries.  When we came home we washed and froze them up in freezer bags.  Yesterday, I took the berries out of the freezer and allowed them to thaw in the refrigerator.  I’m loving my Ball Jam and Jelly Maker, there is a good chance I’m good to need bigger clothes if I keep the jam and jelly making going!  I’m thinking some of the jam is going to need to be included in Christmas presents!

Blueberry Jams
3 cups blueberries-wash; crush 1 layer at a time with potato masher
2 Tbsp. bottled lemon juice
1/2 tsp. butter
3 1/3 cups sugar

Sprinkle pectin evenly over bottom of the pot fitted with the stirrer. Add crushed blueberries evenly over pectin. Pour lemon juice over blueberries. Add butter to help reduce foaming.

Press jam button – the cook time will automatically default to 21 minutes. Press enter. In 4 minutes Jam and Jelly Maker will sound 4 short beeps indicating that it is time to add sugar. Add sugar gradually while Stirrer continues running. Place the glass lid on the pot.

The Jam and Jelly Maker will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. The appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling jam cooking is complete. Press cancel, unplug the appliance and immediately remove Glass Lid.

Yes, that’s it!  How easy is that! 

For long term storage I ladled the hot jam into my Half Pint Mason Jars.  Be sure to wipe jar rims clean before adding lids. Process 10 minutes in a water bath. This recipe will yield about 4 jars. 


I had a little bit of jam left, not enough for a full jar so while it was still warm I used it as blueberry syrup on pancakes!  Again, stretchy pants may be in my future! 

How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!
Psalm 119:103

No comments: