Monday, December 26, 2011

Pillow Hospital Pet



I have a dear friend who is headed to the hospital for abdominal surgery.  She has young children and was deliberating over how to explain to them her upcoming surgery.  That gave birth to my latest craft project, a Pillow (Hospital) Pet. 
I have a satin shirt that was too big so I used it to paint the digestive system on, I wanted a child friendly painting and not too technical.  After completing the painting, I rubber stamped the organ names on the shirt.  I finished the art work with several coats of scotch guard. The painting measured about 9"x 7". 

Next I purchased a butterfly Pillow Pet, and then proceeded to cut a 10"x8" flat centered on the belly of the butterfly.  I also backed the painting with a second layer of satin to ensure softness.   I used satin blanket trim to finish off the edges of the flap.  Next I laid the blanket trim out on my artwork to ensure that I maintained the 10"x8" hole.  Next I inserted the drawing and hand stitched it in place.   I did include 2 small pearl buttons to secure the flap.

My thought is it can be a good talking point with kids, or a reference point when having a conversation with doctors, or even something to soften the seatbelts impact against an incision.  When my Dad was in the hospital following bariatric surgery, the doctors encouraged him to hold a pillow against his incision when coughing those first few weeks following surgery. 

Caleb saw me working on this and said, 'you can tell you homeschool, who paints the digestive system on a kid's toy.'  Abigail came in right when I was cutting the belly of the butterfly out and repeated the great line from ToyStory, 'I don't think that kids ever been to medical school.'

Next, I'm thinking the respiratory system on a Car's Mater Pillow Pal! 

The man with two talents also came. ‘Master,’ he said,
‘you entrusted me with two talents; see, I have gained two more.’
Mattew 25:14

No comments: