Saturday, December 24, 2011

T'was the Night Before Christmas 2011


The evening before Christmas is always a busy time.  This year the gifts were all wrapped and we spent part of the day at our traditional movie, this years selection was, 'I Bought a Zoo'.   Uncle David drove from Arkansas to share in the joy of the kids at Christmas.  Funny thing is, I think the last movie we saw together was 'Zookeeper'.

Towards the end of the day the kids rolled sausage balls for breakfast Christmas morning.  Of course we all had pankcakes for breakfast and were now out of Bisquick baking mix.  The silliness and giddiness of Christmas began to take over!  It was a fantastic day, I don't think I've laughed so hard all year as I did today!

In 2008 and 2009 I wrote my own Kirkwood Night Before Christmas, Abigail has begged me to write a new poem each year, so here you go Abigail:

2011 Kirkwood's Night Before Christmas

T’was the night before Christmas and all thru the house,
The children made cheese balls for me and my spouse.

The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
The kids were up past 10, which was quite rare.

The children were not nestled all snug in their beds,
We were out of Bisquick mix you use to make breads.

Jon browsed the web to Google and in a snap,
A DIY Bisquick recipe available on his App. 

The banging of pots began to clatter,
As we mixed our own Bisquick batter.

Soon the kids added cheese and began to smash,
Next the sausage and continue to mash.

Excited about tomorrow, their cheeks all a glow,
With the sausage balls on cookie sheets all in a row.

When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
To bad it’s all done, I was going to volunteer.

It was Uncle David with a mind that was quick,
Said having the kids mix it was the very best trick.

Next the letters to Santa they wrote by the flame
With requests for a puzzle, a book and a game.

With accents so Southern, I guess I reckon,
There’s no denying their all Texan.

Little do they know that Mom’s on the ball,
I did my shopping at Grapevine Mills Mall.

I asked them to read their letters to the big guy,
Which I video taped, because they’re not shy.

Who would think the baby want a pink B. B. Gun,
And Granddaddy’s rifle for the ‘chosen one.’

Past Padme’s bedtime she gave a ‘roof’,
The dog is in charge, there’s your proof.

Up the staircase they ran with a bound,
Abigail pounced Sissy making a loud sound.

Now only if in bed they can each stay put,
It’s been a long day I’m tired, exhausted, caput!

I heard Uncle David upstairs, as he moved out of sight,
“Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Night.”

When I smiled at them, they scarcely believed it;
  the light of my face was precious to them.
Job 29:24 

No comments: