Monday, January 2, 2012

Finger Print Jewelry


The finished product, finger print jewelry!


Polymer clay is one of those craft products that have always intrigued me, but I have never worked with it.  With the recent popularity of the online pinboard Pinterest I have gotten a better look at all the possibilities.  A recent pin on how to make fingerprint jewelry caught my eye, brilliant!  Imagine capturing the kid’s fingerprints in sterling silver using polymer clay.
 

I used the tutorial and had the kids press their thumbprints into the clay.  Since the kids aren’t exactly babies anymore, the charms are a little larger than a typical charm.  Next I stamped each child’s initials and simulated birthstone.  Finally I used a small petifour cutter to cut the charms into heart shapes.

I created a smaller heart with each child’s birth year.  The next step was to coat each piece with silver dust and bake at 250 degrees for 15 minutes.  After cooling, I coated each piece with a sealer and then assembled my charms.

 
I created a set in silver and in gold.  The polymer was so easy to work with and I foresee many more similar projects!  I was amazed at how clear the fingerprints showed up and just how pretty these charms turned out!  Because they are made of baked polymer clay they are lightweight even though they have a metallic look. 


Keep my commands and you will live;
guard my teachings as the apple of your eye.
Bind them on your fingers;
write them on the tablet of your heart.
Provervs 7:2-3

No comments: