Monday, March 19, 2012

The Lighthouse



I am a big fan of live theater.  One of our first dates was to symphony in Tulsa.  There are very few live productions that I don't recommend, but here is one!   The Dallas Opera and the Dallas Theater Center opened the Lighthouse at the AT&T Performing Arts Center's Dee and Charles Wyly Theatre.  It was a date night for Jon & I to get out of the house, alone.

The theatre itself is very industrial, lots of cement, open pipes, very modern, not my style, but I can appreciate that it was very chic. 

The opera is based on a true story, the three protagonists of The Lighthouse have been locked up in the small isolated space for months and their relief crew is long overdue.  The three are suspected to be victims of foul play, and the opera centers around the investigation.

The story was suspenseful, well played, magnificent voices, phenomenal orchestra, so what's not to like right?  Most operas even if there is an 'indisgression' it is down played in the polite society setting!  This production took a vulgar turn that ruined the experience for me.  One of those moments that added nothing to the story just cheap bathroom humor, very disappointing!   
I'm sure it was performed in the smaller setting to appeal to a select group, but I think in the future we'll stick to the more mainstream Opera House production!


2 comments:

Terry said...

I hear ya! I can buy into a lot in the name of "art" but some of it goes beyond "avant garde" into just appealing to the lowest common denominator and it doesn't make one a prude or hopeless out of touch with reality if you disapprove!
Hugs,
Terry

Texas Kirkwood Family said...

I know! I'm embarrassed to say we went. The scene was more Monster Truck Rally than fine art! :) Love You, Lisa