Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Happiness is a State of Mind

Peaches!
Plums!





Lap pool flanked  by fruit trees!
Figs!
I've mentioned before that our 'oversized lot' is code for a postage stamp compared to the yards Jon and I both grew up with.  Jon still gets frustrated from time to time that we gave up such a spacious yard in Oklahoma for our less than spacious corner lot.   But I think it is all in how you frame it. 
Even when the kids were younger and we would enjoy lunch on the back porch I would refer to it as lunch on the veranda.  When I go outside to check our peach, plum and fig tree I ask the kids, 'who wants to visit the orchard with me?'  When I head to visit our three eight foot raised beds I let the kids know I'm headed to vegetable gardens.   We have an above ground pool, I like to ask the kids, 'who wants to swim laps with me?'
My silliness usually brings a smile to the kids face and they will begin to respond that after lap swimming we could wander the orchard and enjoy fruit on the veranda. Happiness!   
To the person who pleases him, God gives wisdom,
knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he
gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth
to hand it over to the one who pleases God.
This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
Ecclesiastes 2:26

No comments: