Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Giving Thanks

Last week may have been Thanksgiving Day, but today I was reminded how much I have to be thankful for.  With the cold weather many of the guest who come through our doors at Metro Relief find their incomes are drastically reduced.  So many of these families rely on lawn work, roofing, or other construction type jobs.  The cold weather means they may only work 3 days a week instead of 6. 
 
Today 78 families came through the doors for food assistance.  For the three days the pantry was open this week, Metro saw 173 families.  These numbers will continue to increase as winter continues.
 
It is almost unimaginable since we live in the wealthiest country, in one of the wealthiest counties in Texas.  Forbes magazine reports that the median family income for Denton county is $94,785, and yet there is so much poverty. 
 
As I sat in Intake today and visited with and prayed with our guest, so many of their stories are gut wrenching.  Listening to the circumstances that have led them to seek help for their families.  Many are embarrassed, sad, and hurting; it is comforting to know I can't 'fix it' but I have a Savior who can!  
 
I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.
Psalm 121:1-2

No comments: