Friday, February 6, 2015

English Country Dancing



Each time I post pictures of the kids at English Country Dancing, I always feel I should begin the post with, “you might be a homeschooler if.”  We get grief from family members about the kids ‘dancing’.  Growing up Church of Christ, we didn’t dance.  I think the first dance I ever did was the choreographed piece at Oklahoma Christian for Spring Sing with Theta.
The dances with these wonderful homeschooled kids remind me of those innocent, pure moments.  One of the local churches hosts the event for homeschoolers and their families, usually just the teens participate, but I appreciate that parents are welcomed.   
I’ve told the kids the story of my parents growing up, both with Church of Christ parents, both with fathers who were elders in the church and both with very different views on dancing.  For my Dad growing up in Oklahoma, dancing was not permitted but after church the youth group went roller skating.  My mom grew up in Baltimore and dancing was permitted but roller skating was taboo.  The primary difference was the location of the activities and the people who participated in the events.  

Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed. That, however, is not the way of life you learned   Ephesians 4:19-20

No comments: