Thursday, May 5, 2016

Living in Perfect Harmony



'From the sublime to the exhilarating, Mexican, South American, and Spanish composers have given us a rich diversity of beautiful music,' is what the Educational page of the website read.  The Dallas Symphony offers several performances each school year for student.  Our awesome home school group, PEACH, has attended these events since long before we joined in 2005.  Many of the performance are geared toward an Elementary age group in that the dialog between songs is simplistic in nature.  But the performances themselves are always first class.  Even as a parent of older kids I found myself amused at the younger kids in the audience 'conducting' the orchestra and the sheer wonder of such musical masters! 

Today's performance was a celebration of Cinco de Mayo, and for posterity's sake the repertoire included: Revueltas: Sensemayá; Marquez: Danzon No. 2; Piazzolla: Oblivion; Chavez: Sinfonia India; Villa Lobos: Aria from Bachianas brasileiras No. 5; and Defalla: "Ritual Fire Dance" from El amor brujo. I'm confident I could butcher the pronunciation of all of those pieces!  Fortunately Abigail's Spanish is much better and she read the program to me! 

Music is so powerful and it invokes so much emotion and expression.  I find myself awestruck when listening to such talent.  Even when my own kids play the piano or sing, I swell up with pride; I've often wondered if that's how God feels when he hears us.  Maybe that is why He commanded us to sing!  


After a magical morning of symphonies, Abigail and I stopped by Klyde Warren Park for lunch.  I promise this was a school related event.  After all we used this opportunity to observe people in their natural habitat, milling through the food trucks and interacting with others. 

As it is written:
“Therefore I will praise you among the Gentiles;

    I will sing the praises of your name.”
Romans 15:9 (2 Samuel 22:50 & Psalm 18:49)

No comments: