Sunday, June 12, 2016

Rahab, the pro. . . problem solver

It's that time again for Vacation Bible School, that fun-filled program offered during the summer (“vacation”) months, to increase children and families Bible knowledge.  I've been writing Bible lessons for VBS for the better part of 25 years. 

The last fourteen years I have written Bible stories in the form of stage productions where adults and children come together to learn the Bible story and then break off into age appropriate groups to enhance the lesson.  The adult classes break off into a deep dive lesson and the children will do crafts and hands on learning to apply the lessons taught. 


For the past seven years I have written the stage productions as musicals.  I write the script, the dialog, the stage setting, direction, etc.  Other musically talented ladies at church then take contemporary songs, altering the lyrics to fit the lessons.   


It really is a fun process, and I thoroughly enjoy seeing it all come together.  Writing the scripts generally take me about two months, the ladies will spend many weeks on the songs, back drops, costumes, etc.  Each of the actors will add a little of their personality into the production and by the time we stand in front of 500+ people to perform it is really something to see! 


This year's theme was Super Women of the Bible.  the ladies I was asked to write about include Rahab, Ruth, Mary, and Lydia.  No small task!  Rahab of course, is super because she is listed in the lineage of Christ; she also appears in Hebrew's in the 'Faith Hall of Fame' following her actions at Jericho.  I usually play on the side stage and serve to narrate some of the more delicate portions of the story.  It provides a little comedy relief and can advance the story.  Abigail joined me on the side stage again this year as my daughter 'Carolyn' along with Joey, one of my Bible Bowl kiddos played the part of 'Michael.' 

By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the army had marched around them for seven days. By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient. Hebrews 11:30-31

No comments: