Thursday, April 20, 2017

Canning Hot Dog Chili


Remember all those tomatoes I purchased?  I'm still working through them.  First up was canning tomato soup, next up is hot dog chili.  What makes hot dog chili different than regular chili is that the meat is crumbled finer and the chili is thicker.  Regular chili usually contain beans, and chunks of peppers and onions.  Hot dog chili or hot dog chili sauce is a finer ground beef with a tomato base.

Ingredients: 

  • 4 lbs ground beef
  • 1 lb breakfast sausage
  • 2 - 6oz cans of tomato paste
  • 1 Tablespoon ground black pepper
  • 1/2 cup diced onions
  • 1 clove of minced garlic
  • 3/8 cup chili powder
  • 90oz of tomato sauce/puree
  • 1/8 cup mustard


Directions: 

  • Place your meat in a large skillet, but do not turn on the heat.  What makes the meat turn out finer is cover the meat in the skillet with warm water, don't worry most of the water will boil off when you turn up the heat. Use your hands and a spatula to break up the meat.  Once the meat is broken up you can turn on your heat. 
  • Begin cooking your meat down adding the onions, garlic, black pepper, chili powder and mustard to season the meat. When the meat is cooked down use a spoon to remove some, not all, of the grease.  Some grease needs to stay because it contain the flavorings and spices. 
  • While my meat was cooking I washed and cored fresh tomatoes and ran them through my Food Strainer and Sauce Maker.  The press removes skins and seeds leaving just the tomato pulp and liquid.  You can used canned tomato sauce. 
  • As a last step to make sure the meat was a little finer I added my meat and tomato sauce to a deep pot, I used the liner pot to my Instant Pot, and ran my Hand Blender on pulse.  I cooked the chili on simmer in my Instant Pot for about an hour to allow the chili to thicken and cook out any water.  Add the tomato paste in the last 15 minutes of cooking for additional thickening. 
  • To can the chili use a canning funnel to ladle chili into your hot sterilized Ball Pint Jars leaving 1" head space.  Wipe down the tops of the jars with vinegar before sealing.  Process jars in a Pressure Canner for 75 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure. 

The pints are perfect for hot dog chili, Frito chili pies, chili cheese burgers, chili cheese fries, or tamales and chili.  And again these homemade jars of goodness have no fillers, no unpronounceable ingredients and will never taste like a tin can! 

Therefore, if food causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause my brother to stumble. I Corinthians 8:13

No comments: