Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Canning Crunchy Cole Slaw

I love that Pinterest sends me notifications that they have found new things that I would like, usually they are on the mark.  I love seeing new canning recipes, but I have to admit when I saw a recipe for canning cole slaw I laughed.  I like cole slaw but no one else in our house does.  I also thought the cabbage would get mushy but I kept reading.  It turns out the cabbage and carrots stay crunchy.  

So why not, I decided to give it try.  If it turned out I could have cole slaw on occasion in smaller serving sizes. Here is the recipe:

1 medium head of cabbage chopped
1 large carrot grated
1 medium diced green bell pepper
1 small finely diced yellow onion
1 Tbsp. Morton Canning and Pickling Salt

Syrup
1 c apple cider vinegar
1 cup vinegar
2 c white granulated sugar
1/2 c water
2 tsp celery seed
2 tsp mustard seed

Shred and chop vegetables and place in a large bowl and sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of canning salt.  Let it sit for 1 hour. Then rinse and drain at least twice to get out the excess water and salt out of the cabbage mixture.  This will pull the fluid out of the vegetables and allow them to stay crispy. 

While the cabbage mixture is sitting, mix vinegars, sugar, water, and spices in pan on the stove or heat it up faster in your  Instant Pot. Heat the mixture to a boil and boil for 1 minute to dissolve sugar.  Allow the mixture cool.

Add the cooled syrup to coat the cabbage mixture and toss. This is actually a double recipe of brine to make sure I have enough to cover my cabbage.  Pack into sterilized Ball Pint Jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes and remove from heat. 

To serve:  You can eat it straight out of the jar but it is more of a German Cole Slaw.  I prefer to refrigerate overnight then drain the brine and add Mayonnaise for a creamy sauce. 

I also found this recipe for KFC Cole Slaw Dressing that I will be trying! Remember to drain the canned cabbage first and then mix your dressing and let it sit in the refrigerator for 3-4 hours before serving. 

KFC Cole Slaw Dressing:
1/3 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
1/4 Cup Buttermilk, Well Shaken
1/4 Cup Whole Milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons White Vinegar
2 1/2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/8 Teaspoon Black Pepper

The canned cabbage stays very crunchy!! It's not the same as a fresh batch out of the garden, but it is a quick addition to any meal without much work! 

Their idols are like scarecrows in a cabbage field,
    and they cannot speak;
they have to be carried,
    for they cannot walk.
Do not be afraid of them,
    for they cannot do evil,

    neither is it in them to do good.

Jeremiah 10:5

No comments: