Thursday, July 20, 2017

Canning Yukon Gold Potatoes

One of my favorite vegetables are potatoes, specifically Yukon Gold.  They are a delicious, buttery side dish to any meal.  But I am not always in the mood to wash, peel and cut them. 

Many years ago I started canning potatoes.  I can pick a day when I'm in the mood and enlist the help of the girls and sometimes, Jon.  With quart jars prepared I can quickly heat and make yummy mashed potatoes.  They can also be used in a vegetable soup, or loaded baked potato soup.  We've also drained them and add them to a breakfast casserole, potato salad, cottage fries, there are lots of options! 

First you begin by washing and peeling the potatoes. I usually place the cubed potatoes in a large pot with cold water and a splash of lemon juice to keep the potatoes from turning brown. You can estimate an average of 2-1/2 to 3 pounds per quart.  I began with 15 pounds of potatoes and finished with 11 quarts. 

Once all of the potatoes are washed, peeled, and cubed, drain of the water.  Cover the cubed potatoes with fresh water, bringing it to a boil I used my Instant Pot, for 2 minutes and drain again. 



In sterilized Ball Wide Mouth Quart Jars place 1 teaspoon of  chicken bullion, 1 teaspoon Morton Canning and Pickling Salt and 1 clove of garlic. Fill hot jars with hot potatoes and fresh hot water, leaving 1-inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel. Adjust lids/rings and process in the Pressure Canner for 35 minutes for pints and 40 minutes for quarts at 10 lbs. of pressure.

And now I have 11 quick go to jars for meals prepared on a lazy, Netflix watching afternoon! 

Better a small serving of vegetables with love
than a fattened calf with hatred.
Proverbs 15:17

No comments: