Thursday, August 3, 2017

The Boy is Getting Married


My blonde son is getting married.  I'm not even sure where to begin with this post!  Some thirteen years ago the blonde boy walks into Caleb's Bible class and Caleb introduces himself.  Caleb and Richard have been the best of friends since that day.   They have battled out many light saber wars; put together tens of thousands Lego bricks; and seen every Star Wars movie together.  

The boys have learned to drive together.  They have played basketball on the same team.  They have competed in Bible Bowl together for ten years.  The two have participate in years of drama club, speaker's club and book club with the fabulous Ms. Kathy. They have conducted song leading together with Mr. Jordan and LTC speech with Mr. Cooner.  

Together our families have been on probably 100 field trips together over the past decade.  That doesn't begin to include the trips to the Texas State Fair or Six Flags.  The two have spent summers working together at Hawaiian Falls, rooming together at LTC and somewhere in there we also went to church together. 

And now this young man, is getting married.  I can't begin to fathom how time passed so quickly! I can't say I haven't thought about this moment, you know wondering who each of the boys would select as mate.  Trying to visualize what that ideal woman for each of them looks like.  But there was no doubt in my mind that this red-headed beauty would be Richard's wife.  I knew before he did.  In fact, I told Abigail that she would be the one Richard married, before they were actually dating.

I can't explain it.  She is everything I would want for my son, yes even if he's not biologically my son!   Melissa loves the Lord with all her heart and it's a active love, one that compels her to action not just words.  She values family, seeks to build others up, she's genuine, she's smart and driven.  She brings out the best in Richard.  

I'm sure this post was supposed to be about the rehearsal, the reunion of good friends and the delicious dinner, that all goes without saying.  What I hope you take away from this post is how happy I am for my boy.  I'm excited for their future and their journey with the Lord. 

I'm beyond thrilled that tomorrow we will celebrate with the Gungans, with the Lowes, with friends from LCU, with church and home school friends from Plano the union of these two.  I'm thrilled that our family Kirkwoods/Gungans only grows bigger tomorrow.  I am excited for the new memories and experiences Richard and Caleb will share tomorrow as Groom and Best-Man.  

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her Ephesians 5:25

No comments: