Friday, June 21, 2013

Monsters University











Monsters Inc. was one of those defining movies in my children’s childhood.  Much like I would point to Bambi as the animated film of my childhood, Abigail has a fondness for the quirky tale of monsters who extract children’s screams to harness the power for their world. 
Part of the draw was the wispy haired toddler, Boo who became endeared to her monster scarers.  At the time the movie came out Abigail was the same age as Boo and their simplistic mannerism were similar. 
Abigail from not even a year old has carried around a ‘Little Mikey’ doll as her teddy bear.   This one eyed, horned, four-legged stuffed animal has prompted more than a few strange looks from on-lookers.   As odd as it is, this doll has taken on the form of plush toys, socks, birthday cake and more merchandising than should be allowed.  With such a fondness for this story it was with great excitement we anticipated the release of this prequel movie.
We invited several friends to join us at the first matinee showing of the film and it did not disappoint.  The girls giggled and cooed through the entire film.  This mom was practically giddy at the joy on my girl’s faces as they stared at the big screen.  
When I was a child, I talked like a child,
I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child.
When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.
I Corinthians 13:11

No comments: