Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pinterest Projects


So you know all those great do-it-yourself craft projects that you find on the Pinterest website that you are going to do some day.  Over Christmas break I knocked out a few of my favorites.  

The first project was a Sharpie bowl.  We made a few coffee cups and candy dishes decorated with Sharpie markers and then baked at 350 for 30-45 minutes.  On the bowls, I coated them with a spray sealer, but I chose not to use the sealer on the coffee mugs in case it was toxic! 

Next up was hoodies for the kids.  They were wanting Metro t-shirts but all they had were XL's so I took this opportunity to try a few more projects.  For Caleb's hoodie (the Navy one), I used the bleach pen method.  I started with a print out of the Metro Bus and then used fabric tracing paper.  Be prepared, the tracing paper doesn't give you a real clear image, but just a general idea of your layout. Next, I used a bleach pen to outline my drawing and then waited for about five hours before rinsing it out. Once the design was dry I used fabric paint to add a little color.

For Frankie's (the yellow one) and Abigail's (the white one) hoodies  I simply printed out my design and then used fabric tracing paper.  Once it was traced then I began painting using fabric paint. Because the girls shirts were light colored the tracing paper worked better on the girls shirts.  If you have trouble with your pen punching through the paper simply put the lid on your pen and trace using the wider rounded edge. 

I this point I have laundered all three hoodies on cold gentle cycle and they have laundered well.  

Maybe Spring Break I'll tackle a few more items from my Pinterest DIY Crafts board! 

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works,
which God prepared in advance for us to do.  Ephesians 2:10


No comments: