Thursday, June 5, 2014

Making Cotton Candy



Today the girls and I headed out see our favorite cotton candy food ambassador at Hawaiian Falls.  I snapped a picture when he wasn’t looking of him spinning the pink sugary goodness.

At one point I went past the cotton candy shack to find a little crowd of kids visiting with Caleb.  He was explaining to them how cotton candy or ‘Fairy Floss’ is made by heating a small bowl of granulated, colored sugar to its melting point.  Heaters then heat the melted sugar through tiny holes by centrifugal force. 

He went on to explain that the molten sugar then solidifies in the air and is caught by the larger bowl that surrounds the spinning head where he gathers it up in plastic bags. 

I wish I would have had my camera with me when he was talking to the kids; unfortunately it was in the locker to keep it dry from the rides the girls and I were riding.

Caleb has collected several cotton candy fun facts like:  machine-spun cotton candy was invented by a dentist in 1897 and introduced to the public at the 1904 World’s Fair; and that the United States celebrates National Cotton Candy Day on December 7.  Who knew?! 


I think it makes his day go a little faster and the kids always seem fascinated to find out how things work! 

the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in all that you undertake.
Deuteronomy 15:10

No comments: