Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Pretty Purple Fabric Maker

Our final night of VBS highlighted Lydia as a Super Woman of the Bible.  Lydia is the first Gentile convert in Europe that we are told about in scripture.   I like that the women we selected began with women in the ancestory of Christ, to the mother of Christ and forward to a convert after the resurrection and ascension of Christ. 

The story of Lydia include her conversion by Paul, Silas, Timothy and Luke.  Caleb portrayed the young Timothy who threw in a few sayings by his mother Eunice and grandmother Lois, as a shout out to yet other Super Women of the Bible. 

Paul, Silas, Timothy, and Luke sang, 'Philippi' to the Beach Boy's 'Kokomo.' Sing with me, you know the words, "Derbe and Lystra, oh I want to take you, down in Macedonia let's go spread the gospel, to the Gentiles, baby why don't we go . . ."  

One of my favorite Lydia songs, include the lyrics "well a bless my soul, rock n roll, pretty purple fabric maker" to the 1958 tune of "Purple People Eater!" It was fabulous! Another VBS in the books, I have a little break before I get back to writing another set of scripts. 

One of those listening was a woman from the city of Thyatira named Lydia, a dealer in purple cloth. She was a worshiper of God. The Lord opened her heart to respond to Paul’s message.  Acts 16:14

No comments: