Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Tomayto, Tomahto

What's a girl to do with fifty two pounds of tomatoes?  In my case we went a bought eleven pounds of hamburger meat, four pounds of onions, peppers, jalapenos, cilantro, and other spices.  

The girls washed, chopped, diced, boiled and stirred for most of the day.  After about thirteen hours of hard work, we had 8 quarts of spaghetti sauce, 8 quarts of chili, 8 pints of seasoned tomato sauce and 4 pints of Rotel styled tomatoes with green chilies

I'm so grateful my Grandmother inspired me to learn to cook and preserve food.  Early in our marriage Jon would help me with the process no matter if we were putting up pickles, tomatoes, or fresh fruit.  It's remained a family project to work on together whenever we have fresh fruits and veggies.  Today I was especially grateful for all the girls hard work, they made the process so much easier.  I think they loaded and unloaded the dishwasher three times today while the pressure cooker was processing! 

At the end of the day I could hear my Grandmother’s voice as I watched the girls chopping and cooking saying, ‘You done good, kid!’

Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness  2 Corinthians 9:10

No comments: