Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Canned Garlic Potatoes


As long as the girl has not screen time or reading, we've been trying to make the best use of our time.  We've stayed at home so she can rest throughout the day, but kept a little busy doing helpful things around the house, like canning.  If I'm home there is a good chance that I'm on the computer working on Bible lessons or our little blog here.  

If there is not a laptop in front of me then I'm probably doing art, sewing, or cooking.  Right now is a great time of the year to find canning jars on sale, so it looks like I'll be doing some more canning.  I ran up to the grocery store I purchased ten pounds of Yukon Golden Potatoes.   Why would you can potatoes?   Well, they are great for potato salad, stews and breakfast potatoes. 

My favorite use though, is as mashed potatoes.  I can pour them into a pan heat, mash, and add milk and butter.  They are so much better than instant potatoes.  I used the recipe on the link above, the only exception was I added two cloves of garlic and a half a teaspoon of chicken bullion.  It gives the potatoes a wonderful buttery flavor. 

The potatoes are processed at ten pounds of pressure for 35 minutes.  the ten pounds of potatoes yielded eleven quarts. 

Better a small serving of vegetables with love

    than a fattened calf with hatred.
Proverbs 15:17

No comments: