Friday, December 30, 2016

Canning Carrots!

My family has an aversion to carrots.  I don't know why, because I like carrots, especially cold and crunchy straight of the refrigerator. The kids like carrots cooked with a roast with all that beefy seasoning.  I think it's Jon who doesn't like carrots and had influenced the children, but I digress. 

The kids like the texture of roast cooked carrots and prefer them a little salty instead of sweet, because carrots already have a natural sweetness to them.  This is a great time to find vegetables on sale at the grocery store, because their shelves were stocked with orange goodness to accompany holiday meals. 

This could not have been any easier to prepare.  I washed and inspected the carrots and then cold packed then into hot sterilized Ball Pint Jars.  I topped each jar with a 1/2 tablespoon of Morton Canning Salt then finished filling the jars with boiling water.  Use a Bubble Remover to release any air bubbles that might be trapped in your jars.  Just run the tool down each jar moving things around gently so air will release.  

Next, wipe off the rims of the jars and finger tighten the sterilized lids.  Finally, process  the pint jars at 10 pounds pressure for 25 minutes in Pressure Canner (30 minutes for quarts, but honestly we'd never finish a quart at one sitting!). 

Voila, carrots that don't taste like a tin can and aren't crunchy or too mushy! For under $6 I have 15 pints of carrots.  Plus when the zombie Apocalypse occurs we will be stocked up on biotin, vitamin K, potassium, vitamin B6 and vitamin C. 

And ye shall eat in plenty, and be satisfied, and praise the name of the Lord your God, that hath dealt wondrously with you: and my people shall never be ashamed.  Joel 2:26

No comments: