Friday, December 30, 2016

Canning Mexican Fire-Roasted Corn

Our family enjoys a little spice to our food.  The other day while I was grocery shopping when my youngest struck up a conversation with the sample lady.  She was handing out sample of Del Monte's Fire-Roasted Whole Kernel Corn Blend prepared in a recipe of Esquites (Mexican Corn).  

My girl ate a sample and went back for a sample for me, because I needed to try the goodness.  The store sample lady share with Abigail her favorite recipe for Esquites as they chatted.  On the way home my girl said if we were going to can something, this was what we should be canning.  My standard response to such revelations from my girl is, "when it's on sale, we can do that."

Today that day arrived, frozen corn was on sale. Fresh corn on the cob would be great but frozen corn holds up beautifully and can be canned. I heated it up enough that it wouldn't be cold going into my hot, sterilized jars.  To each Ball Pint Jar I added 2 whole cloves of garlic, 1/2 tsp. red pepper, 1/2 tsp. Morton Canning Salt, 2 tablespoons of chopped cilantro, and 1/2 tablespoon of lime juice.  Next, top each jar with hot water, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace. The trick is NOT to pack the corn in the jars too tight, allowing room for plenty of water. Also, be sure to use a Bubble Remover to make sure you don't have any air bubbles in your jars.

I wiped the jar rims with a damp cloth and tightened your hot lids on to fingertip tightness. Process pints of corn in a pressure canner at 10 lbs. pressure for 55 minutes. (Corn is a low-acid food and MUST be processed in Pressure Canner).

For Abigail's recipe from her store sample lady, we can now open a jar and drain, the stir in 1/3 cup of Mayonnaise and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese.  This can be served hot or cold.  And yes, we had a jar with dinner, minus the cheese for Jon.

Let them gather all the food of those good years that come, and lay up corn under the hand of Pharaoh, and let them keep food in the cities. Genesis 41:35

No comments: