Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Canning Poppy Seed Chicken

One of the kids favorite meal is poppy seed chicken. It is one of the recipes that Abigail learned to prepare when she was in the girl's Tabitha class at church as they were learning about hospitality.  It is also one of the meals that is served at Camp Blue Haven. 

The biggest hold up to serving this dish more often is that I would have to remember to cook the chicken ahead of time.  So that got me to thinking about how canning could help me shorten the prep time.  

Last night I slow cooked a whole chicken in my Rival Roaster Oven.  Today Caleb de-boned and shredded the chicken.

In Ball Pint Jars I put 1/2 of a chopped yellow onion, the chicken, 1/2 Tablespoon of powdered chicken bullion, 1/2 Tablespoon poppy seeds, and 1 tsp. of garlic salt.  After packing the jars I added boiling water, it will mix with the bullion to give the meat good flavor and keep the chicken moist.   

I processes the jars in my Pressure Canner for 70 minutes at 10 lbs of pressure.   While the jars processed I prepared the topping using a large skillet, melting 2 sticks of butter, along with 2 sleeves of Ritz crackers and 1 Tablespoon of poppy seeds.  Once the topping was cooled I sealed it with my Food Saver.  They will be fresh and ready to sprinkle on the casserole. 

Here is how easy it will now be to whip up dinner: 

1 Pint jar or my canned chicken (do not drain)
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1/2 cup milk
1 10oz package Yellow Rice
Cracker Poppy Seed Topping (2 sleeves Ritz crumbled with 1 stick butter & 1T poppy seeds)

Prepare rice according to directions.  Stir chicken (do not drain), soups, and milk.  Pour into 9”x13” baking dish, sprayed with non-stick spray.  Sprinkle with Cracker Poppy Seed topping and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Doesn't it look delicious?!  

See that no one is immoral or unholy like Esau, who sold his birthright for a single meal. For you know that afterward, when he desired to inherit the blessing, he was rejected, for he found no chance to repent, though he sought it with tears.
Hebrews 12:16-17

No comments: