Saturday, January 28, 2017

Canning Beef and Broccoli with Bell Peppers

Our little family blog started as a way to keep in contact with our extended family who all live out of state.  Later it became a great way to recall so many great memories and a tool to remind the kids of various adventures.  The next phase was the blog allowed my kiddo at college to readily be able to check up on us when he had a spare moment.  It made those phone calls home more productive because he could share in our week. 

The blog has also been a tool for me to share some of my Bible Bowl resources with other coaches and has been review of kid friendly things to do in Dallas.  The stats page shows that our little blog gets around 900 views per month and I know we don't have that many relatives! 

More recently I've been posting about our canning and I've begun having requests to publish specific recipes, go figure!  Recently I had a request for a way to can various meal ready recipes and spcifically a beef, broccoli and bell peppers.  

Beef and Broccoli with Bell Peppers
4 lb. skirt steak, sliced
1 head broccoli, cut into florets
1 onion, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 yellow pepper, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced
2 cups grated carrots
1 c. reduced-sodium soy sauce
3 cups beef broth
4 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
6 tbsp. brown sugar
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp. Sriracha sauce
1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Your first task will be to cook your skirt steak.  I cooked mine in my Instant Pot with ½ cup of beef broth on high pressure for 12 minutes.

Next, get to chopping and slicing your vegetables!  

While the pressure in the Instant Pot comes down, whisk together soy sauce, beef broth, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, Sriracha and red pepper flakes in a stock pot. 

When your beef is fully cooked add it to your sterilized Ball Wide Mouth Quart Jars slightly under ½ full.  This will be about 1 pound of beef.  Next begin layering in your vegetables.  I packed in my carrots, onions, bell peppers, and finished off with my broccoli.  Go ahead and pack them in tight because they will cook down in the canning process. 

Next fill the jars with the sauce you have heated in your stock pot.   Do not fill it all the way with liquid.  I left almost two inches without liquid because when the vegetables cook down they will create more liquid. 

Wipe the rims of your jars with vinegar and seal with lids and rims.  Process the quarts in a Pressure Canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes. 

I had a little bit of my beef, broccoli and red peppers left over so I mixed up some saffron rice for lunch.  Serve it with some of our homemade Sweet Asian Chili Sauce and some sesame seeds!  

O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!
Psalm 34:8

No comments: