Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Canning Ham Bone Broth

Remember those ham bones I saved?  Well, after Jon carved up the ham roast for me I saved the bones to make pork bone broth.  Healthy, yummy goodness that can be used in soups or with a delicious pot of beans. 

To prepare my stock I first roasted the following in the oven at 425 for 30 minutes:  
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
2 medium carrots,cut into 1-inch chunks
2 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
6 cloves of garlic
2 to 3 pounds ham bones (shank, hock, or left over from spiral ham)

Next, I placed these in my 6-Quart Crock Pot  along with:
10 black peppercorns
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar 
4 quarts cold water

The broth cooked for about 24 hours before I strained the liquid through a mesh strainer into a clean pot, pitching the vegetables.  Next I filled my sterilized Ball Wide Mouth Quart Jars, wiping the rims with vinegar. 

I processed the quarts in my Pressure Canner at 10 lbs for 60 min. For my $12 investment at Aldi's, I finished out with 8 packs of sliced ham, 6 packages of cubed ham and 7 quarts of ham stock! 

She rises while it is yet night
    and provides food for her household
    and portions for her maidens.
Proverbs 31:15

No comments: