Thursday, January 5, 2017

Canning Savory BBQ Sauce

When we were at the fair with the Gungans we sampled various barbecue sauces and found that our favorite was a a Worcestershire sauce base. So I added barbecue sauce to my to do list.

After making chili, I had tomato sauce left over that I had washed, cored and run through my Food Strainer and Sauce Maker.  Next I had celery, onions and garlic left over from my ham stock; which provided the necessary ingredients for that barbecue sauce! 

I love putting the recipe on our little blog, it makes it so much easier to find next time.  

Sauté: 
6 cloves of garlic
1 chopped onion
2 heads of celery, chopped
In 2 sticks of butter 

Add sautéed vegetable to stock pot along with: 
8 cups tomato sauce
2 cups apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder 
2 Tablespoons beef bullion granules
7 cups water
4 bay leaves
1 ½ cups Worcestershire sauce
2 Tablespoons paprika
¾ tsp. black pepper

Simmer about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and strain. Fill hot sauce into sterilized, hot Ball Pint Jars, leaving ½ inch headspace and remove air bubbles with Bubble Remover. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel; apply two-piece metal canning lids to fingertip tightness. Process in a boiling water bath, making sure the jars are completely covered with water.  Bring water to boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium and process pints for 35 minutes. (Quarts would be processed for 50 minutes).

This recipe yielded 9 pints of savory goodness. 

Others, of the sons of the priests, prepared the mixing of the spices
I Chronicles 9:30

No comments: