Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Canned Seasoned Hamburger Meat

I like to keep food on hand that can transition to quick and easy meals. I've learned that about a pound of meat fits into a pint jar.  

I like to watch for a sale on high quality lean beef.  Today I purchased about eight pounds of beef.  To it I added two pounds of pork sausage, two chopped onions, two chopped bell peppers, one cup of banana peppers, six cloves of garlic, fresh cilantro, and fresh dill.  

I seasoned the meat with Morton Canning and Pickling Salt and pepper, but no other spices. This way the meat could be used in enchiladas, spaghetti, chili, tacos, etc.  I drain the fat off the meat before packing it into jars and then pack into sterilized jars, seal and  process in Pressure Canner at 10# pressure for 75 minutes (for pints).  General health guidelines say this canned ground hamburger will have a shelf life of 3-5 year.  I prepared ten Ball Pint Jars and this will probably last us a couple of months. 

the priest’s servant would come with a three-pronged fork in his hand while the meat was being boiled and would plunge the fork into the pan or kettle or caldron or pot. Whatever the fork brought up the priest would take for himself.  I Samuel 2:13-14

No comments: