Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Canning Barbacoa Beef

Our family are big fans of Chipotle's Barbacoa Beef.  We love it on their salads, burritos and bowls.  Today I found a copy cat recipe for Mexican favorite. 

I had two four pound round bottom roasts in the freezer. With my Instant Pot I can cook them from frozen to shredded and falling apart in 90 minutes. 

Working with (1) four pound roast at a time, I added:
5 cloves garlic
1/2 medium onion
1 lime, juice
2-4 tbsp chiptoles in adobo sauce
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp ground oregano
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup water
black pepper
1 tsp oil

Place garlic, onion, lime juice, cumin, oregano, chipotles, cloves and water in a blender and puree until smooth.  I set the Instant Pot for meat at 90 minutes. Once cooked and the meat is tender, remove the meat and place in a dish. Shred with two forks, and reserve the liquid for later.

Because I was working with two roasts, I shredded the first and added it to the 6-Quart Crock Pot to keep warm while the second roast was cooking.  When all the meat was cooked and shredded, I strained the juice and placed the meat into sterilized Ball Pint Jars with 3/4" inch head space, remove air bubbles, put on heated lids and caps, process for 75 minutes in a Pressure Canner at 10 pounds of pressure.


These jars are now shelf stable for three years.  I can open a jar, heat and make street tacos, burritos, stuffed baked potato, or a taco salad!  

For He satisfies the thirsty
and fills the hungry with good things.
Psalms 107:9 

No comments: