Sunday, May 28, 2017

Canning Bell Peppers

So I'm missing the boy and needing something to keep me busy.  If only I had something to can!  We have about seven bell pepper plants all which are loaded down with peppers.  Normally I would just wash, seed and freeze them.  But instead I looked up how to can them.  

Apparently when canning bell peppers you want to remove the skins because they can become bitter in the canning process.  Sounds easy enough, right?  No, no it's not.  

One website said to put the halved peppers on a cooking sheet, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt.  Then bake in the oven remove from heat and peel the skins right off.  No that didn't work.  Another site said to toss baked peppers in a paper bag for 20 minutes and steam the skins off. No.

I ended up placing the peppers in a skillet with olive oil skins down on a high heat.  This blisters the skin.  Remove peppers from the skillet and dip in ice water to peel off the skins. 

Pack the peppers into Half Pint Mason Jars and cover with water and 1/2 teaspoon of Morton Canning and Pickling Salt.  Process in a Pressure Canner for 35 minutes at 10lbs of pressure.  

I have cooked with a few of the jars and they add a wonderful flavor to pastas and Mexican food.  But I'm not sure I would go through all that work again.  Peeling the skins was incredibly time consuming and I was very grateful for my two helpers, but next time I will just freeze my peppers. 

You will eat the fruit of your labor;
    blessings and prosperity will be yours.
Psalm 128:2

No comments: