Monday, May 29, 2017

Canning Caramelized Onions

While the girls and spent a lot of time peeling skins off of our green bell peppers, Jon chopped up six pounds of yellow onions for me. I like the caramelized onions in casseroles, on fajitas, in soup and other dishes.  But I don't always have onions on hand or want to take the time to cook them down.  

I tossed the sliced onions in my crock pot on low adding one stick, half a cup, of melted butter.  Stir to coat the onions and allow them to cook for about ten hours.  The onions will cook down to about one fourth of your beginning volume. 

To preserve them in canning jars add your caramelized onions to sterilized Half Pint Mason Jars and top with 1/2 teaspoon of Canning Salt.  Wipe the rims of your jars with vinegar to remove any oily residue. Because onions are a low acid food and since they were cooked with butter, I processed the jars at 10 pounds of pressure for 70 minutes in my Pressure Canner

We remember the fish we ate in Egypt at no cost—
also the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions and garlic.  Numbers 11:5

No comments: