Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Homemade Canned Tamales

Today I made us tamales for lunch, but it can be a lot of work.  So I usually make a double batch and freeze the extra tamales for another day.  So of course my thoughts move to if you can freeze it you can can it. 

So I flipped through my grandmother's Kerr canning book and there was a recipe for canning tamales.  I'll save the part about the recipe for tamales, basically you can begin with your favorite tamale recipe, pork, chicken, beef or combo.  We happen to prefer beef tamales. 

Once you've prepared your tamales and rolled them, pack them into sterilized Ball Wide Mouth Quart Jars. You can use a butter knife to make it easier to make room to pack the tamales into your jars.  I was able to pack nine tamales into each quart jar.  Add 1 tablespoon of water to each jar before sealing.

Put on lids and bands screwing them down firmly tight, Process in Pressure Canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 75 minutes, (60 minutes if using pints). 

Ta da!  Homemade canned tamales!  Serve with chili, or cheese or salsa. Homemade lunch in minutes! 

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

No comments: