Thursday, May 18, 2017

Canning Pulled Pork

Yesterday I asked Caleb if there was anything he wanted home cooked and he said, a pulled pork sandwich!  Guess what I'm cooking today? 

After our morning Bible reading I ran up to Kroger where pork shoulder roasts were on sale.  Because they were $0.99 per pound instead of $2.99, I purchased three roasts for a total of fourteen plus pounds of meat.  Looks like we will have plenty for dinner and a few extra meals! 

First, to cook the pork, with this much meat, I cooked them all in my electric roasting pan (fat side up).

Pulled Pork
1 teaspoon vegetable oil 
1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast 
2 cups barbecue sauce
1 1/2 cups apple juice 
1/4 cup light brown sugar 
1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard 
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
5 loves garlic, in slits on top of the meat
1/2 teaspoon Liquid Smoke

The meat cooked for six to eight hours in my Rival Roaster Oven. On a cookie sheet I used two forks to shred the meat. After setting aside the meat for dinner, I packed the meat into sterilized Ball Wide Mouth Quart Jars. I topped the jars off with my own homemade barbecue sauce.  The sauce the meat had cooked in was a little greasier than I wanted to pack for long term storage.  

Always wipe down the rims of the glass jars with vinegar to ensure a good seal.  The quart jars must be processed in a Pressure Canner at 10 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes. Each jar holds about two pounds of meat.  We had dinner tonight and I put up seven quarts of meat that I can open up, heat, and serve! We always add a few homemade dill pickle spears on the side! 


That same night they are to eat the meat roasted over the fire, 

along with bitter herbs, and bread made without yeast.  Exodus 12:8

No comments: