Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Canning Dill Pickle Relish

For the record, I'm not a big fan of pickle relish.  I do like a spoonful in my tuna or egg salad but I don't eat it on hot dogs.  But again my kids, specifically my 'pickle boy' loves all things pickle! 

The other day I made the mistake of purchasing Sweet Pickle Relish.  My kids quickly let me know that they prefer Dill Pickle Relish.  

Armed with a extra cucumbers from yesterday's canning, today we made Dill Pickle Relish for the first time and it was really simple! 

Spicy Dill Pickle Relish

4 lbs cucumbers (cut in 1/2" slices)
3 cups white onion (finely chopped)
2 jalapeños (de-seeded and chopped)
1 tsp turmeric
3 Sprigs of fresh dill 
1/2 Tbsp dill seed
1/2 Tbsp mustard seed
3 Tbsp white sugar
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water

Run the sliced cucumbers in a food processor or blender to finely chop your cucumbers.  If you are using larger cucumbers, cut the cucumbers in wedges instead of slices and remove the center seed pocket.  

Place chopped cucumbers, salt, turmeric, and water in a large bowl and let set for 2 hours.

After 2 hours, rinse and drain cucumber mixture using a strainer.  Rinse the cucumbers and rinse a second time. 

Combine cucumbers, chopped onions, jalapeños, fresh dill and dill seed, mustard seed, sugar, and vinegar in a large sauce pan or Instant Pot, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.

Ladle hot relish into hot sterilized Half Pint Mason Jars leaving approx. 1/2 inch headspace.

Wipe rims, apply lids and rings (finger tight), and process jars in a hot water bath for 10 minutes in a Pressure Canner.  Jars can be stored for up to one year.  The jars I used were decorative blue tinted jars giving my relish an extra blue-green shade! 

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You give a tenth of your spices—mint, dill and cumin. But you have neglected the more important matters of the law—justice, mercy and faithfulness. You should have practiced the latter, without neglecting the former. Matthew 23:23

No comments: