Monday, November 12, 2018

Preschool Science

In preschool we are currently learning about fruits and vegetables. In my art center we did stamp painting with corn, bell peppers and onions. 

For the science portion I thought it would be fun to try an experiment to make kernels of corn dance. 

Supplies:
a clear glass container
popping corn
2 1/2 – 3 cups of water
2 Tbsp. of baking soda
6 Tbsp. of white vinegar
food coloring (optional)

Simply fill your jar with water and add a couple drops of food coloring.  Add your baking soda and stir well until it is all dissolved.  Add a small handful of popping corn kernels, I used yellow and red kernels.   Add the vinegar and watch the corn start to hop up and down!  

After I conducted the experiment I then had stations set up for each of the kids to pair up and try their hand at following directions and making the corn dance.  Some were successful, others didn't let their baking soda completely dissolve.  So, afterwards we sat down and talked about what went wrong and what worked! 

You must obey my laws and be careful to follow my decrees. I am the Lord your God. Leviticus 18:4

No comments: