Monday, August 26, 2013

Books We Read During the 2012-2013 School Year


On the side bar of the blog I try to keep track of what books the kids are reading.  Now granted, they read faster than I remember to post so there are always a few books each year that I miss.  It is somewhat sad to remove their book list of the blog each year, so a few years ago I started doing a post with just a listing of the books for that school year. This is mostly the just for fun books, the ones they read as part of their school work I usually do not include in this list.  Honestly, what 10th grade boy wants his friends to know he read Pride and Prejudice, right!
 
These are the books they picked out and read for fun or as part of their book club, some were at the suggestion of their friends and others at the suggestion of their Dad!  And yes, these are books they read, not some CliffsNotes version, or audio cheat but black and white page turners they enjoyed during the past school year.
 
Aida; All-American Girl; Animal Farm; Anthem; Artemis Fowl; Bible; Being George Washington; Ben Hur; Black Sails Before Troy; Catching Fire; Cave of Treasures; Cinder; Confessions of St. Augustine; Death Cure; Deeper; Denominational Doctrines; Divergent; Dragons of the Watch; Endangered; Ender's Game; Figs and Phantoms; Forever Princess; Fyre; Gregor the Overlander; Gregor and the Prophecy of Bane; Gregor and the Curse of the Warmbloods; Hamlet; Hobbitt; Holes; Howling Sphinx; Hunger Games; I Am Number Four; Infinity Ring; Inheritance; Insurgent; Islam vs. Christianity; Jefferson Lies; Killing Kennedy; Killing Lincoln; King Lear; Legend; Lionclaw; Lost Hero; Mark of Athena; Maximum Ride; Maze Runner; Michael Vey: Prisoner of Cell 25; Michael Vey: Rise of the Elgen; Mockingjay; Mysterious Island; Nation; Party Princess; ; Princess in Training; Princess Mia; Princess on the Brink; Princess Present; Prodigy; Rise of the Nine; Scorch Trials; So Long Insecurity; Son of Neptune; Spy School; Taming of the Shrew; The Dead of the Night; The Kill Order; The Land of Oz; The Outlaw Princess of Sherwood Forrest; The Power of Six; The Princess Diaries; Tunnels; Where the Sidewalk Ends; and Wolf Boy

If you are curious that is over 26,000 pages of just for fun reading!  I mentioned audio books earlier, please don't get me wrong, I LOVE audio books.  My son Caleb is dyslexic and reading has been a huge challenge!  I even had a parent at church ask me one time when Caleb was in third grade why I didn't just stop homeschooling him and put him in public school so he could finally learn to read.  But I also had a friend at church come to me privately to say she suspected that Caleb was dyslexic and led us in the right direction. 
 
Everything he did in school I read to him up through about fifth grade. All of his just for fun books, school books, I read it all.  When he found a book series he was interested in that I couldn't read fast enough for him, his reading took off!  It is with great joy and thankfulness that I post none of these are audio books!  To mom's of dyslexic children take heart, it may not always be the struggle you are currently experiencing. 
 
His dyslexia is still there, he can flip numbers, letters, even ABC choices on test, but it is so much better, praise God!!!

It is always fun to look back and see what we've read like our 2008-2009 Book List or 2010-2011 Book List or our 2011-2012 Book List
 
It is to be with him, and he is to read it
all the days of his life so that he may learn
to revere the Lord his God and follow carefully
all the words of this law and these decrees
Deuteronomy 17:19

No comments: